Highlights of EXPO Chicago 2017
Now in its sixth year, EXPO Chicago is proof that a thriving art community exists between those known on the two coasts. In fact, the fair’s ties to its local galleries, museums, and art schools are what set it apart and make it an annual destination for the numerous dealers and collectors who descend upon the “Windy City” each fall. This year’s fair did not disappoint – from a partnership with the Palais de Tokyo to its alignment with the Chicago Architecture Biennial, the fair continues to remain ambitious with its programming efforts.
We were excited to be able to attend and share just a few of our selected highlights!
1. The beautiful and monumental collage portraits by Gabi Trinkaus at Claire Oliver Gallery (New York)
2. Works by Jennifer Bolande, Julius Shulman and Alison Berger at Edward Cella Art and Architecture (Los Angeles)
3. Lucas Simoes' incredible installation at MARSO (Mexico City)
4. A full booth of stunning pieces by Oliver Marsden at Galeria Hilario Galguera (Mexico City)
5. The Food Chain Project by Itamar Gilboa
Almost 800 million people around the world are suffering from hunger and over 600 million are obese. Food Chain Project stems from Itamar Gilboa's will to raise awareness to global issues of hunger, obesity, overconsumption and waste by means of examining his own consumption choices. For one year, Gilboa kept a diary of everything that he ate and drank. Tamar Dresdner Art Projects presents the outcome—an installation which is a visual manifestation of everything that he consumed during twelve months and consists of numerous crystacast and chrome sculptures, each representing a food item that Gilboa had consumed. Proceeds from the sales of the sculptures will be donated to Food Tank, an NGO which supports environmentally, socially and economically sustainable ways of alleviating hunger, obesity and poverty.
6. Daniel Beltrá’s photograph Amazon (scarlet ibis) at Catherine Edelman Gallery
Initiating the international fall art season each September, EXPO CHICAGO hosts leading international exhibitors presented alongside one of the highest quality platforms for global contemporary art and culture. The 2017 iteration presented 135 premier galleries representing 25 countries and 58 cities. For more information on the fair, please visit their website.